Law 1702 of 2013 articles 16 and 17
- Support the National Road Safety Agency (ANSV) in planning and evaluating road safety policy, plans, and strategies throughdiagnosis, analysis and research.
- The functions of the ANSV related to the handling and management of information will be developed through the ONSV.
- The road prevention, information, training and awareness campaigns on road safety, the technical studies for the quality of the protection elements, provided in the National Road Safety Plan and others plans and strategies of the agency, will be monitored and evaluated by the ONSV to determine its effectiveness and / or need for adjustment.
- Develop, comment and promote technological and information mechanisms that allow to model and to investigate causes and circumstances of road accidents, to support planning, preparation, execution and evaluation of road safety policies.
Decree 787 of 2015 article 11:
- Monitor and evaluate the results of the implementation of public policies, strategies, programs, plans and projects in the area of road safety.
- Provide to Board of directors, General Management, Planning Advisory Office and mission offices, the data related to road safety in Colombia, as an input to be used in the processes of formulation and periodic review of the National Plan of Road safety.
- Coordinate and manage the National Road Safety Observatory and design and implement the methodology for the collection, processing, analysis and interpretation of data related to road safety in Colombia, under the guidelines of the Direction General.
- Develop, directly or through third parties, research studies on road safety that allow the formulation, planning, execution and evaluation of road safety policy.
- Collect, process, analyze, interpret and socialize information on road safety, for planning, design, management, execution, monitoring, evaluation and control of strategies, plans and actions aimed at road safety throughout the country.
- Provide to Board of directors, General Management, Planning Advisory Office, mission offices and other public and private entities that require it, the data related to road safety in Colombia, as input to evaluate the effectiveness of the regulatory standards associated with road safety and promote their modification or updating, before the competent authorities.
- Analyze studies of technical investigations sent by public or private entities in the matter of traffic accidents and formulate, in coordination with the mission units of the Agency, recommendations aimed at overcoming or mitigating the identified risks.
- Design, in coordination with the competent public entities, the protocols for the exchange and request of the information required by the National Road Safety Agency - ANSV, for compliance with the regulations on road safety.
- Design and implement, in coordination with the mission units of the Agency, a system for measuring road safety indicators, in accordance with the methodology defined and used by international organizations in the field, which provides feedback on the design of policies, and informs, through the ONSV, the progress and achievements obtained.
- Provide the Communications Advisory Office with the information required to carry out road prevention, information, training and awareness campaigns on road safety.
- Carry out the monitoring and evaluation of the impact of the road prevention, information, training and awareness campaigns on road safety.
- Carry out, in coordination with the Infrastructure and Vehicles Management, technical studies for monitoring and impact evaluation of the quality of the protection elements provided for in the National Road Safety Plan, in order to determine their effectiveness or the need for adjustment.
- Formulate performance indicators for road safety actors and submit an annual compliance report to the General Directorate.
- Other functions that are assigned and that correspond to the nature of the agency.
Support and guide design, monitoring, follow-up, and evaluation of public policies, plans, programs, projects, interventions, and decision-making that impact the causes that affect road safety in territories.
What is the Territorial Observatories?
They constitute a technical support network for territorial authorities in the field of road safety, such as the Territorial Councils and the Local Road Safety Councils at the departmental and municipal level.
Together with the Advisory Council and the ONSV, they make up the network of actors for the generation of knowledge in road safety.
- Aplicar los lineamientos y directrices técnicas establecidas por el ONSV para la gestión de datos de seguridad vial
- Apoyar a los Consejos Territoriales de Seguridad Vial en el seguimiento a indicadores, metas y políticas públicas en materia de seguridad vial
- Apoyar la ejecución del plan de generación de conocimiento en materia de seguridad vial
- Apoyar el seguimiento y evaluación de políticas públicas del nivel local, incluidos los instrumentos de planeación y gestión territorial en su componente de seguridad vial
- Apoyar en la identificación y documentación de buenas prácticas en seguridad vial locales
The leader in knowledge management, under the principles of effectiveness and quality, for understanding and improvement of road safety.
ONSV working groups